Walks around the old town
The fortifications do not comprise ramparts in the strictest sense of the word. They are houses that have been aligned one against the other with their blind wall facing outwards, forming the defence. To complete the defence, at each angle of the quadrilateral thus constructed, was a tower. One of the singular features of Vallauris is that two of its streets, the most northerly street ‘la rue Soubrane’ (the ‘rue Haute’ today) and the southern street ‘la rue Soutrane’ (‘rue Clement Bel’ today) were linked by two opposing doors in a straight line.
These exits, along with the majority of the towers were gradually destroyed as the town expanded extramurally, to make it easier to pass through, and a square was formed at each of the outer corners of the town. The site of the church is also
characteristic of the plan of Lérins.
This description is an extract from the book entitled “Old Vallauris – a guided tour”
• Churches and chapels circuit
The Parish Church of Sainte-Anne de Vallauris. This church houses two altars which were dedicated to Saint Anne and Saint Martin and date from 1839. It was built on the site of two other adjoining churches, Saint-Marie and Saint Martin, which
became too small and the chapel of Saint-Bernardin, which belonged to the Confraternity of White Penitents until the Revolution. Its baroque-style front was renovated in 1882. It has a square-shaped bell-tower in the Romanesque style.
This chapel probably dates from the beginning of the 13th century. Built in the Romanesque style, it has broken barrel vaulting made from a remarkable
arrangement of cut stones. The faithful entered by the outside door in the form of a pointed arch, which today links the chapel with the most modern building, where Picasso’s War and Peace is on display. The latter building probably dates from the time when the church was deconsecrated and turned into an oil mill, where animals were used to turn the mill wheels.
surgeons. Though the exact date of its construction is unknown, on entering the building you can see an iron Cavalry crowning a stone entablature above the porch, which bears the date 1851.
Chapel of Saint-Antoine. This chapel is said to date from the 16th century and is dedicated to the hermit Saint-Antoine to protect the town. An oratory dating from 1850 adjoins the chapel.
• Castel Museum
The castle of Vallauris, former priory of the Abbey of Lérins, which was reconstructed in the 16th century, is one of the rare Renaissance edifices to be found in the region. It houses the National Picasso Museum, War and Peace as well as the Magnelli Museum and the Ceramics Museum.